Aizawl has a lot to offer for the tourists. Some of them are:
- The Mizoram State Museum is located in Aizawl at Zarkawt. This museum houses artifacts and other depicts that offers a glance into the history, traditions and culture of the Mizo people.
- Aizawl Zoological Park at Lungverh in Aizawl is one of places to find a variety of flora and fauna.
- The Solomon Temple maintained by Kohran Thianghlim of Mizoram is located in the Kidron Valley, Chawlhhmun locality of Aizawl. It is a grand temple complex frequented by spiritual as well as non-spiritual tourists alike.
- Reiek Tlang is a popular tourist destination at a distance of 12 kms from Capital Aizawl. Located at an elevation of 1548 m, the hill is covered with thick green forests. The view of the surrounding valleys and hills are a delight to watch from the hills. Even the plains of Bangladesh can be seen on clear sunny days.
- Durtlang Hills is located to the north of capital Aizawl. The Durtlang Hospital and Aizawl Theological College are spots to take a great view of the hill station. Its rocky hills offer one of the finest spots for trekking.
- Hmuifang is a beautiful hill station at a distance of 50 kms from capital Aizawl. Located at an elevation of 1619 m above mean sea level, the hill is canopied with virgin forests. It’s paradise for nature lovers as one can enjoy nature in a tranquil and serene manner.
- The Beraw Tlang Tourist Complex is a famous picnic spot and a place renowned for recreation. It is located 7 kms from Aizawl and a preferred tourist destination.
- Baktawng is a Village renowned for the “world’s largest existing family”. The family includes 39 wives, 94 children, 14 daughters-in-law and 33 grandchildren.
- The Khuangchera Puk is a famous cave in Ailawng near Reiek, which is 30 km from Aizawl.
How to Reach
The Lengpui Airport near Aizawl is the nearest airport with flights to cities like Kolkata, Guwahati and Imphal. By Rail, one can reach upto Bairabi in Mizoram, after which Road transport is the only means. By Road, Aizawl is well connected with Silchar, Agartala and Imphal.
Summer of Aizawl is mild with temperatures between 20°C and 29°C and in the winter the temperatures range between 7°C and 21°C. It is better to avoid the rains between May and September, as it rains profusely and keep you indoors.
Other Places of Interest
Phawngpui Peak is renowned for its numerous orchids and rhododendrons. It is also the highest mountain peak of the state located and is located at an elevation of 2157 m above sea level. The largest wildlife sanctuary in Mizoram called Dampa Tiger Reserve, Murlen National Park, Vantawng Falls, Lakes like Palak Dil and Tam Dil are some of the other places of interest for tourists visiting Aizawl.